Is your Ergobaby baby carrier a use-it-every-day kind of item? We hope so! After all, cuddling with your little miracle is one of the most beautiful things there is. And an ergonomic baby carrier is practical to boot. So, if your baby carrier is in constant use, then you probably also know it’s prone to stains and spills. The baby spits up, chews on the shoulder straps, a small (or large!) nappy mishap happens, or some milk drips onto the material when breast/chestfeeding and carrying.
You don’t always have to wash the entire baby carrier immediately. Sometimes you can just remove the stain with a damp cloth, some mild detergent or washing-up liquid and lukewarm water. In other cases, however, there is probably no way around the washing machine. And that’s why today we’re giving you a simple guide on how to wash your Ergobaby baby carrier in a way that is gentle on the material and the environment.
How often can I wash my carrier?
Generally speaking, you can wash your carrier as often as you like. Our Ergobaby carriers can take it. Because they are durable and extremely hard-wearing. And since you have invested your money in a high-quality baby carrier, it makes sense to keep it in the best possible condition and protect it accordingly. We also suggest that you wash the carrier once before using it for the first time. From then on though, it’s only necessary to wash your baby carrier if it is really dirty and for the sake of the environment, we recommend only washing your baby carrier when absolutely necessary. You can always try using a damp cloth instead as this saves water and protects the carrier.
Instructions: How to wash your baby carrier
So, how do you wash an Ergobaby carrier?
- We recommend closing all buckles on the baby carrier and popping it inside a pillow case
- To protect the material, it is best to use a mild detergent
- And use the gentlest cycle of your washing machine (maximum 30 degrees and a low spin speed).
You can also wash your baby carrier in the GUPPYFRIEND washing bag for a more environmentally friendly wash. With every wash cycle, the smallest fibres detach from synthetic clothing – and even baby carriers – so microplastics end up in the wastewater. To prevent this, GUPPYFRIEND has developed a wash bag that not only ensures that fewer fibres break off and the material is protected, but also catches the fine plastic particles that have detached from the material. Simply place your mesh baby carrier (such as our Ergobaby Omni Breeze baby carrier) in the bag, close the zipper and wash it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle as described above.
- Remove the carrier from the GUPPYFRIEND wash bag (or pillow case)
- Hang the carrier and bag on the washing line and ideally do not use the dryer.
- On warm days, the baby carrier should be dry again in the fresh air in no time at all. However, it should be hung in the shade and not directly in the sun. And in winter if you hang it up in a warm room it should be ready for use again soon.
- Once you have used the GUPPYFRIEND wash bag, you can remove the detached fibres from the hem of the bag and dispose of them in your household waste.
And there you have it! A spotless, sparkling baby carrier, cleaned in the most environmentally friendly way possible – ready for your next adventure!